Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2021

Week of Exams - Writing vs Scribing an Exam

Last week was a week of Exams for me in more than just one way!
I was preparing to take up one of the professional certifications which I am overly impressed with. After a week-long preparation, I made up my mind, prepared well in the morning, and on a quiet afternoon in the weekend, I took the exam. It was an online exam that could be taken in the comfort of home. Given all these conveniences, I was a bit anxious and really had fear of failure...

Immediate next day,  I got to write an examination as a Scribe for BA exams. I had to go and write for a visually challenged girl at a Government College. I made some changes to my day so that I was there on time at the Examination Hall. Got ready with pens needed, water, and much-needed mask and sanitizer.

I reached 15 minutes before time and was waiting for Vani to come. She had called me twice to ensure that I was coming to write for her. This was my second time as a Scribe. I was not expecting things will all be set up. Usually, the question paper and answer papers are given late and there won't be room identified for students with scribes. I had to collect the question and answer papers from one hall and walk to a faraway room which took away the first 15 mins of the 3-hour exam.. by this time Vani was worried about what are the questions and whether she knows it not.. we found a place and say down and I started to write. 

Meanwhile, about 8 other students came to the same room with their scribes. It was many different subjects though. Vani managed to dictate about 1/3 rd of the paper which is quite remarkable considering this year(2020!) they didn't have any classes and online classes did not turn out to be effective! I had written this much in super speed and since I am out of touch with Kannada writing and with speed my writing went haywire.

After this, there was a sudden stop...She was just not able to say anything...I became nervous at this point and counted and recounted if she will pass with minimum marks or not...I figured out there are still a couple of ten marks needed to be on the safer side...
I turn around and see the situation is the same in the room... Many students are just blank and all scribes were so genuinely concerned. A girl studying MBA with beautiful Kannada handwriting, a girl who is doing architecture, a very good-hearted homemaker...all trying their best to bring out sensible responses from students to the questions in the paper.

Likewise, I tried to provide her some pointers and get some responses and then connect to the questions that are asked. I ensured that I answered all the questions with a couple of points to get a good score. I am keeping my fingers crossed until the results and wish her well. 

One thing which I could clearly see in that room that day was that none of the students had any kind of fear on their faces...
This put me into deep introspection about the Mental and Physical abilities of a person. Is there a way to measure mental abilities more than physical abilities before we judge anyone? and many more questions.???????



5 comments:

  1. Amazing Vai! Well written on your experience as a scribe, especially on mental and physical abilities. This reminded me of a poem from my daughter's kannada text book about pundit Puttaraja Gawai: ಮುಳುಗದ ಸೂರ್ಯ. Few lines from the poem "ಕಣ್ಣುಗಳಿದ್ದು ಇಲ್ಲದ ಹಾಗೆ ಬದುಕುತ್ತಿರುವರು ಹಲವು ಜನ ಇರದೇ ಇದ್ದರು ಇದ್ದಂತಿಹರು ಸಾಧಕರಿಗೆ ಕೆಲವು ಜನ".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Vai! Well written on your experience as a scribe, especially on mental and physical abilities. This reminded me of a poem from my daughter's kannada text book about pundit Puttaraja Gawai: ಮುಳುಗದ ಸೂರ್ಯ. Few lines from the poem "ಕಣ್ಣುಗಳಿದ್ದು ಇಲ್ಲದ ಹಾಗೆ ಬದುಕುತ್ತಿರುವರು ಹಲವು ಜನ ಇರದೇ ಇದ್ದರು ಇದ್ದಂತಿಹರು ಸಾಧಕರಾಗಿ ಕೆಲವು ಜನ".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ಹೌದು..ಸರಿಯಾಗಿದೆ ಈ ಸಾಲುಗಳು. ಒಂದು ಸಾರಿ ನಮ್ಮ ಮನೆ ಹತ್ತಿರ 'ಸಮರ್ಥನಂ' ಟ್ರಸ್ಟ್ ನ (ವಿಕಲಚೇತನರಿಗಾಗಿ ಕೆಲಾಸಾ ಮಾಡುವ NGO) ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮ ಗಣೇಶೋತ್ಸವಕ್ಕೆ ನಡೆಯಿತು. ತುಂಬಾ ಚೆನ್ನೆಗಿತ್ತು. ಅದನ್ನು ಕೇಳಿದ ಬಂದಿದ್ದ Guest ಹೇಳಿದ ಮಾತುಗಳು - ಇಲ್ಲಿ ಸೇರಿರುವ ನಾವೆಲ್ಲಾ ಆಡಿಯನ್ಸ್ ಎಷ್ಟು ಅಸಮರ್ಥರು ಅಂತ ನನಗೆ ಅನ್ನಿಸ್ತಾ ಇದೆ ಅಂದಿದ್ದರು. ತುಂಬಾ ಸಮರ್ಪಕವಾದ ಆದರೆ ಅಷ್ಟೇ ಸತ್ಯವಾದ ಮಾತುಗಳು ಅಂತ ಅನ್ನಿಸಿತ್ತು.

      Delete
  3. Well..I'm also anxious about vani's results and hopefully she will come out with colourful results.Good job..👍

    ReplyDelete

Artistic Rendition - DP to Portrait

Two of my friends did my portrait at the same time without my knowledge from my Whatsapp DP! That was a pleasant surprise! I felt terrific! ...