Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Finding Ikigai & Swadharme Nidhanam Shreyah- Bhagavad Gita - 3.35

I was always intrigued by this shloka from Bhagavad Gita. How to find "Swadharma" was my unsettled question.

Chapter 3 Karmayoga Verse 35 Sri Krishna says that it is better to do things that define you as a person than do things that define others. 

śhreyān swa-dharmo viguṇaḥ para-dharmāt sv-anuṣhṭhitāt
swa-dharme nidhanaṁ śhreyaḥ para-dharmo bhayāvahaḥ

ಶ್ರೇಯಾನ್ ಸ್ವಧರ್ಮೋ ವಿಗುಣಃ ಪರಧರ್ಮಾತ್ ಸ್ವನುಷ್ಠಿತಾತ್ ।
ಸ್ವಧರ್ಮೇ ನಿಧನಂ ಶ್ರೇಯಃ ಪರಧರ್ಮೋ ಭಯಾವಹಃ ೩೫॥

श्रेयान्स्वधर्मो विगुण: परधर्मात्स्वनुष्ठितात् |
स्वधर्मे निधनं श्रेय: परधर्मो भयावह: || 35||

I got a beautiful explanation for this in the Gita Class. 

My Guru put it very well as saying it is the Aptitude that defines your Innate Dharma. We should get into a work that suits our Aptitude, which is enjoyable, gives us Happiness and while performing such work we feel Timelessness. We will get in a sense of Flow.

Though it may have some glitches, it is always better to be in your own path as the other's path which how much every  beneficial, proven, and faultless may create Fear in us.
The dharma a person follows gives Meaning and Purpose to Life

I could so well draw parallels with the recently popular concept Ikigai. 
Ikigai is a Japanese concept referring to having a direction or purpose in life, providing a sense of fulfillment and towards which the person may take actions, giving them satisfaction and a sense of meaning.
Ikigai is finding that sweet spot that intersects with 
What you are Good at 
What you Love
What you can be paid for
and
What the World Needs 

Here again, the important thing is you.. (Swadharma)! 

3.35 is one of my all time favourite Shloka..














No comments:

Post a Comment

Artistic Rendition - DP to Portrait

Two of my friends did my portrait at the same time without my knowledge from my Whatsapp DP! That was a pleasant surprise! I felt terrific! ...