Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2021

My Father and the joy of Sweet box!

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get - Forrest Gump


As a child, I always looked forward to my father's Bangalore trip. My siblings and I would wait with all enthusiasm for our father's return late in the night. His trips were one day. He went early morning and returned by a late-night bus to Hassan.
So by the time he came home, it would be mostly midnight. But we will not give up and wait for my father and as soon as the sound of his bike is heard, we will run to open the door. 
The joy of him coming back is one side and also this was to get one look at the Assorted sweet box that he got every time he came back from Bangalore! How much ever late it was for him, after his work he always got sweets from Venkateshwara Sweets or any other shop near majestic.
Well, we did not even eat there and there! We ate it only the next day but I guess it was more about the sight of the deliciously looking, mouth-watering, and the pleasant smell of the sweets which mesmerized us as kids.
Then the next day my mother would split those sweets into equal parts and give us. I don't remember my parents eating any of them!
 Meanwhile, all four of us will trade for our share of sweets...Since my brother did not like sweets like Mysore Pak and Soan Papdi, he will forgo that and take a full Doodh Peda! I on the other hand did not like few sweets but loved Bombay halwa. So all in all, we got pieces of a few of the sweets and one
full!
The sweets in the box will change every time based on the quantity and the shop. But few were constants like Mysore Pak, Chocolate Burfi, Soan Papadi, Ladoo, Baadusha, Bombay halwa, Doodh Peda, and Coconut Burfi. I am not sure if this was how my father selected them or it came like that by default.
The joy of the sweet box that my father got remains one of the sweetest memories from my childhood and no sweet or treat has ever matched the cheer and happiness that these boxes brought me!


Happy Fathers Day Dear Anna!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artistic Rendition - DP to Portrait

Two of my friends did my portrait at the same time without my knowledge from my Whatsapp DP! That was a pleasant surprise! I felt terrific! ...