Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2021

In Memory of my Undaunted Ajji - Sharadamma

Kowshika Sharadamma is my paternal grandmother. We called her Kowshika Ajji. 
She was very different ever since the time I recall. She was not like any other grannies who will do pooja and rituals for long hours. She was not someone who will chant for hours or sing songs. She was not even like normal women of her age who were interested in cooking and making nice dishes and sweets for the family. She never fancied or went to any weddings or any functions.
She was a person connected with the soil. She was always worried about the farm and yard (ಹೊಲ ಮತ್ತು ಗದ್ದೆ). This always puzzled me as a child where I saw all other grannies deep into doing some of the other religious stuff. She was never like a bit of it.
I can say that I knew very little about her all these years. As I am growing older, I am getting to understand her more and more..
My grandmother was married at the age of 9 to my grandfather of 25+ years who had a daughter of the same age. His first wife had died years ago. When she came with him to his village, she was still playful naturally and she was always playing with her stepdaughter.
She gave birth to two sons by the time she was fifteen and was carrying the third child when suddenly my grandfather died of a supposed heart attack. My father is her second son. My grandfather was modestly rich and had made a good amount of land. After his demise, his family claimed all the lands and they had put a case in the high court. 
My Ajji, who was an illiterate and young innocent came to Bangalore from the village to defend the case and won it as well! I wonder what power she would have got at that time to travel with three small kids and come to a city, stand in front of the court, and claim what she deserved. How it would have been for her to bring up the kids as well as do the farming. Seriously, I can't imagine her days of struggle and how she came out of the difficult times.
Only one thing I can say is that she never claimed or cribbed for all the hardships she had been through.
She had a very low profile life in the village in the middle of her beloved coconut trees and farms. I am sure she would have been a very beautiful small girl as from the time I saw her she had a fair complexion and very good-looking!
Nine years ago on this day, my Ajji passed away. The next day my chikkappa, her third son also collapsed due to a sudden heart attack and passed away.
A strange thing and a very rare coincidence indeed. They both had a strong connection while they were alive which they carried further for their next journey too...You are both missed but will be always remembered in our thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artistic Rendition - DP to Portrait

Two of my friends did my portrait at the same time without my knowledge from my Whatsapp DP! That was a pleasant surprise! I felt terrific! ...