Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2021

My Childhood Google - The Central Library

The library has been my favorite place ever since I was little. One of the first places I started to visit ever since I started cycling was the Central Library at Hassan! My father made me two library cards. For me, my bicycle and the library were intertwined.

It was a very serene place in my hometown. As you enter there was a large hall, with a huge table. There were newspapers all around the table, on either side of this hall were racks of books segregated according to the subject. There were many people who visited to sit and read the newspaper. But there were hardly any ladies in the library. That was a huge letdown.

There were all sorts of books in the reference section. Particularly many fat ones. My favorite among them was Children Encyclopaedia, Balaprapancha – Makkalavishwakosha by Dr. Shivarama Karath. Other books were arranged on neat shelves. There were books on different subjects. Religious, spiritual, literature, history, culture, and many more. If there was any competition at school, the first stop would be the Library. 

This Library was my childhood "Google”.  I have spent most of my holidays here. The librarian here was Venu, who had a good taste for the books. He helped me with identifying good books by his review before checking out. Since I was very new to English books those days, the only source of the review was the scribble that was done by the previous readers. I have issued books many times based on these scribblings only. I have thanked the writer if I found the book good else of course criticized it!

I can never forget Central Library at Hassan since this place brings out many tender memories and made me an ardent reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artistic Rendition - DP to Portrait

Two of my friends did my portrait at the same time without my knowledge from my Whatsapp DP! That was a pleasant surprise! I felt terrific! ...